Thursday, March 26, 2009

Maybe the First Sensible USD Commentator

Michael,

You make great points and I will try to comment consistently and concisely. The point of this blog is to expose the faculty admissions committee of the USD SOM. I am not personally attacking anyone on this blog. My comments are made without passion or prejudice. The point of this blog is to draw the attention of the appropriate elected individuals to make change in the USD system.

My comments are centering on the PhDs of the admissions committee and the fact that the admissions committee does NOT represent the whole of South Dakota. I think you will agree with me that the population of SD does not just reside in Vermillion or Sioux Falls.

This is grass-roots at its best! :>)

Issue 1: Wow, sounds like this person didn't get accepted into medical school.

Answer: You make very good points concerning the people skills required of a good physician. I could not agree with you in a stronger or more supportive fashion.

I must continue to point out that I am not an applicant … just a humble journalist (as far as this blog is concerned).

Issue 2: As a medical school student currently, I was denied admission from a number of schools. All you focus on is the academics, the numbers. You pay no attention to the fact that maybe these people who were denied (to me it sounds like you are included) were deficient in many other areas such as volunteer work, shadowing, and most important, people skills. I have a number of students in my class who are very intelligent, but are completely oblivious to social situations. They more than likely got in based on grades, but in my opinion will not make excellent doctors.

Answer: This blog is focusing on the potential to make social change in the operations of the USD School of Medicine. You focus on the core of the charge. If the faculty making the decisions are not as qualified (or less qualified) than the individual applicants, then how are they capable of making admissions decisions. It has been the central argument of this blog that a majority of the current admissions committee is just not qualified. Of course, there can be differing opinions on this issue.

Each of the students who have come to me concerning these specific issues have excellent academic qualifications, excellent research experiences, excellent volunteering experiences, and wonderful people skills.

I agree with you that too many students gain admission to MD programs who just do not have the appropriate people skills, They are smart people by all means, but they need a little honing.

Issue 3: MD's, no matter what level, are qualified to select other MD's.

Answer: Maybe yes maybe no. I think there needs to be more transparency on this issue. Not all MDs are created equally.

Issue 4: There is a difference between someone who dreams of being a doctor and one who can be a doctor. If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably are the one dreaming.

Answer: Are you certain that I not a physician? Take caution in your answer and be able to back-it-up before you post it.

Issue 5: The credentials these individuals have show their dedication to their field and their knowledge of what it takes to achieve the distinction.

Answer: Dedication? If they are PhDs in the natural sciences, why do they not have significant and published research experiences? Where are their publications to prove their expertise. If I earned a PhD at the University of Phoenix, would this qualify me to teach within the USD SOM? How about a mail-order PhD, does this qualify me? Am I qualified to teach within the USD SOM if my only accomplishment is completing a MS or PhD or an MD but never practicing in my field?

Issue 6: CME (continuing medical education) is required of all medical personal.

Answer: CME is only required of practicing medical professionals.

Issue 7: There are things that I am learning now that will be obsolete in 20 years. Does that mean I am a worse physician that a new medical school graduate? NO! Experience matters in medicine and it is the difference between life and death.

Answer: You are absolutely correct. Experience is a very valuable tool. There are lessons that you will learn that will be proven wrong in twenty years … I am certain of this. When I was “learning” human medicine it was thought that cardiomyocytes were terminally differentiated and that upon damage (e.g., aMI) were not able to regenerate. Today, we know that cardiomyocyte regeneration and remodeling occurs post-MI.

Hmmmm, maybe I know something about medicine and biology!

Issue 8: If you didn't get accepted into medical school maybe it is YOUR experiences that are lacking and not THEIR credentials.

Answer: Be careful on your assumptions.

1 comment:

  1. man, this thing just keeps getting funnier. here we are a bunch of professionals, or pre-professionals, or at least adults (hopefully) arguing about anonymity and credentials when we're supposedly talking about competence. Its funny how so many can get riled up over absolutely nothing. There's no actual argument here.

    ReplyDelete